How much do you KNOW about ABORTION?
If you are faced with an unplanned pregnancy, you may be considering abortion. Before you enter an abortion clinic, you should be prepared with the facts.
Take the time to research and visit us FIRST. Hope Pregnancy Center does not offer or refer for abortion, but we believe that education is powerful! We want you to make an informed choice.
Once completed, abortion is final and YOU are the one who has to live with your choice.
3 reasons you should visit Hope Pregnancy Center FIRST:
- Confirm your Pregnancy – If you aren’t pregnant, there’s no need for an abortion. We offer free, accurate testing and time to listen to your story.
- Get an Ultrasound – After a positive pregnancy test, we can offer you a free ultrasound that will help determine if your pregnancy is viable, which means it is in the uterus and a heartbeat is present. A non viable outcome may indicate that you are prepared to naturally miscarry, or it’s a tubal pregnancy. Many pregnancies end in miscarriage so paying for an abortion may not be necessary. If you have a tubal pregnancy you may need immediate medical attention.
- Get Tested for STIs – We can also test for STIs and provide treatment from our location at no cost. Many Sexually Transmitted diseases have no symptoms, therefore go undetected. If you have an STI at the time a surgical abortion is performed, you are at high risk to develop Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) which may result in hospitalization for treatment.
ABORTION HEALTH AND SAFETY CHECKLIST
Did you know there are TWO TYPES of ABORTION?
The Abortion Pill and In Clinic Procedures. Each are recommended for different circumstances. The MN Department of Health does a great job of describing all of the options: http://www.health.state.mn.us/wrtk/handbook_eng.pdf *scroll to the bottom for various abortion procedures.
What QUESTIONS should I ask the ABORTION PROVIDER?
- Are the abortions performed by a physician with a valid medical license?
- Do the physicians all have medical privileges for practicing in a local hospital?
- Will I have pain during or after the procedure?
- Will you do an ultrasound before the abortion? Can I see it if I want to?
- Can someone be with me during the abortion?
- Does the embryo/fetus/baby feel pain?
- Because this is a surgical procedure, do you do lab work to determine my blood type?
- If I would have complications that include bleeding/hemorrhaging what would you do?
- Will I need Rhogam and if so, will you provide it?
- Can I change my mind at anytime?
What if someone is PRESSURING me?Minnesota Statute 145.4242 says that “no abortion shall be performed in this state except with the VOLUNTARY and INFORMED consent of the female upon whom the abortion is to be performed.” Pressure to abort is illegal and pressuring someone to have an abortion could have lasting psychological effects on that person.Are you AWARE of possible COMPLICATIONS associated with ABORTION PROCEDURES?Potential complications include: hemorrhage, infection, tearing of the cervix, rupture of the uterus and scarring of the uterine lining. Are you AWARE of possible EMOTIONAL SIDE-EFFECTS connected with ABORTION?Different people experience different emotional side-effects. Some people’s experiences are severe, some are subtle, and some are delayed for up to 10 years or longer. Knowing what to look for can help you get the best treatment for your individual situation.
More Abortion Resources:
The following link is evidence based Medical Education: www.health.state.mn.us/wrtk/handbook_eng.pdf
Abortion Changes You has a great list of potential emotional side effects: www.abortionchangesyou.com/healing-pathways
Here is more information about Forced Abortions: www.stopforcedabortions.org/faq/htm