My friend had an ABORTION.
Almost everyone personally knows someone who had an abortion. If they are confiding in you for the first time, it may catch you off guard so here’s what to do:
- Listen Empathetically
- Don’t interrupt or interject with your experience unless they ask you for it
- Ask questions when appropriate
- Love them and assure them your relationship hasn’t changed
- Lovingly and gently share your feelings about abortion
- Suggest they find help with a trained professional
- If they are comfortable, offer to pray with them or pray for them on your own
If you know someone has experienced an abortion and they are suffering in silence they may not be ready to talk about it, but perhaps they are ready to read about it. A great resource is Linda Cochrane’s series, Forgiven and Set Free. There is a version for both men and women along with a bible study guide.
As always, our doors at Hope are open to someone in this situation. We know this hurt is real and are continuously looking for ways to foster healing and help prevent others from entering the same situation. Please check with us on our current support structure.